The Cuyahoga Falls Library seeks to provide excellent service to all patrons. We strive to provide an atmosphere conducive to reading, research, study, and other library activities.
The following Code of Conduct has been adopted for the safety and the protection of the rights of all those using and working in the Library. To further this goal, patrons are asked to help the Library provide a secure and pleasant environment by conducting themselves in an orderly and considerate manner.
Any behavior that disrupts the orderly use of the Library is prohibited. Library staff will enforce this code in a courteous but firm manner.
Prohibited behavior includes, but is not limited to:
- Carrying of weapons, concealed or otherwise, unless the owner is a law enforcement officer
- Disorderly conduct
- Fighting or wrestling
- Abuse or misuse of library furnishings, equipment, or materials
- Failure to return to the Circulation Desk when security alarm sounds
- Physical, sexual, or verbal harassment of any individual
- Physical or verbal threats
- Loud talking or noise which disturbs others in the library, including the use of cell phones
- Abusive or foul language or gestures
- Using radios, cassette or compact disc players, or other audio-visual devices so that others can hear
- Congregating in or around entrances or stairways
- Food or beverages, except in approved areas
- Smoking or the use of tobacco, including the use of e-cigarettes and other nicotine delivery systems, is prohibited on Library property
- Bringing animals into the Library, except for guide dogs, service dogs, or animals brought to the Library for special programs
- Unsuitable dress (shirts and shoes are required)
- Using emergency exits other than during an emergency
- Entering nonpublic workspaces or office areas without permission
- Inappropriate use of elevator
- Unauthorized selling or purchasing of any item or service
- Violating the Library Internet Use Policy
Police will be called immediately for:
- Damage and/or destruction of property
- Use of illegal drugs or alcohol
- Causing patrons and/or staff bodily harm
- Indecent exposure
- Other illegal activities that pose imminent danger to people or property
Cell phone ringers should be set to “vibrate,” or preferably turned off, upon entering the library. If cell phone use is absolutely necessary, patrons are asked to move away from others to carry on a conversation.
Roller blades, roller skates, skate boards, or other sports and recreational equipment must be checked at the Circulation Desk and may not be used on the premises.
Patrons must leave the library promptly at closing.
Violations of the Code of Conduct may result in, but are not limited to, being denied access to the Library on a temporary or permanent basis. Failure to follow the terms of expulsion will result in a charge of trespassing. Use of the Library and reinstatement of privileges are by the Director’s permission only.
For major offenses patrons will be asked to leave immediately. For lesser offenses patrons will be warned once and requested to leave if the unacceptable behavior continues. Suspension of Library privileges for a determinate or indeterminate period of time may occur if a patron is found to have engaged in unacceptable behavior on Library property. Notice of suspension will be sent by certified mail, return receipt requested, to the last known address of the patron or, in the case of a minor, his/her parent or guardian.
Appeal of the suspension may be made, in writing, to the Board of Trustees, within ten (10) days of receipt of the notice of suspension. The patron, or in the case of a minor, the parent or guardian, will be notified by the Board of the date and time of the hearing on the notice of appeal.
Minors who repeatedly violate the Library’s Code of Conduct shall be required to be accompanied by a parent or guardian during Library visits for a period to be determined by the Director.
Approved by the Cuyahoga Falls Library Board of Trustees, April 19, 2005
Amended November 23, 2010
Amended November 19, 2013